The Early Years in LoveWorld Schools comprises of four classes: Crèche,Preschool,Nursery One and Nursery two (Reception Class). Depending on the age at admission, children are admitted into classes appropriately.
The EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage) curriculum is the entry level of the English National Curriculum. At LoveWorld Nursery School, we deploy the English National Curriculum with the Montessori methodology. This blend guides the learning and teaching process and helps us establish an optimum learning environment in our classes.
The Montessori approach emphasizes the importance of the child’s own decision making both in what they do and how they do it. The EYFS curriculum makes provisions for an “enabling environment, active learning and learning through experiences” within the theme of learning and development which is in line with the Montessori practice.
We use a variety of play based and structured activities striking a fine balance between both teacher- led and student initiated play.Most children play spontaneously and it is through play they develop emotionally,physically,creatively,socially and intellectually.
There are 3 prime areas in the EYFS curriculum which are crucial for igniting the children’s curiosity and enthusiasm for learning. Also their capacity to learn, form relationshipsand thrive.They include…
- Communication and Language Development: This involves giving the children the opportunities to experience a rich language environment to help develop their confidence, skills in expressing themselves, to speak and listen in a range of situations.
- Physical Development: It involves opportunities for young children to be active and interactive, develop their coordination,control and movement. Children must also be helped to understand the importance of physical activities and make healthy choices in relation to food.
- Personal,Social and Emotional Development: This involves helping the children develop a positive sense of themselves and others, to form positive relationships,develop respect for others, develop social skills, learn how to manage feelings and understand appropriate behaviour in groups.
- Literacy: Encouraging children to link sounds and letters and to begin to read and write. They are given access to a wide range of reading and writing materials to ignite their interest.
- Numeracy: Providing children with opportunities to develop and improve their skills in counting,understanding and using numbers ,calculating simple addition and subtraction problems, describe shapes, spaces and measurements.
- Understanding the World: Guiding children to make sense of their physical world and community through opportunities to explore,observe and find out about people,places,technology and the environment.
- Expressive Arts and Design: It involves enabling the children to explore and play with a wide range of media and materials as well asproviding opportunities and encouragement for sharing their thoughts, ideas and feelings through a variety of activities;art,music,dance,roleplay ,design and ICT.
Ongoing assessment through observation is also an integral part of thelearning and development process at LoveWorld Nursery School.This helps us to understand each child’s levelof achievement,interest and learning style and therefore shape the learning experiences for each child.
We operate a merged curriculum made up of the British National Curriculum and the strength of the Nigerian curriculum in the primary section of the school. We make it a point of duty to keep challenging our children in their learning.
They are offered a developmentally suitable curriculum in Literacy, Numeracy, Science, ICT, French, Geography, Social studies/ History, Arts & craft, Music and religious Studies.
Our curriculum is aimed at the following:
- Speaking clearly and choosing words carefully to express feelings and ideas
- Conversing audibly and confidently with friends, teachers and other adults.
- Reading with fluency and expression.
- Developing inventive thinking skills and encouraging intellectual engagement.
- Developing learners who are confident, responsible, innovative and engaged.
- Engaging learners in an active and creative learning journey.
- Developing critical skills in order to respond to a range of information, media and texts with enjoyment and understanding.
- Using techniques and skills in solving mathematical problems.
- Organising, categorizing, representing data and formulating conclusions.
- SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Showing empathy and tolerance for others.
- Displaying a positive attitude at all times.
- Teaching respect and exploring values for individual differences.
- Demonstrating self-control and discipline.
- Relating well and openly with others and adults.
- Expressing emotions appropriately.
- PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
- Become skilful and intelligent performers;
- Acquire and develop skills, performing with increasing physical competence and confidence, in a range of physical activities and contexts;
- Learn how to select and apply skills, tactics and compositional ideas to suit activities that need different approaches and ways of thinking;
- Develop their ideas in a creative way;
- set targets for themselves and compete against others, individually and as team members;
- Understand what it takes to persevere, succeed and acknowledge others’ success;
- Respond to a variety of challenges in a range of physical contexts and environments
- SPIRITUAL DEVELOPMENT
- Propelling them towards achieving their God ordained destiny.
- Giving sound moral instruction to inculcate Christian values.
- Providing an appropriate environment to enable every child develop spiritually.
- Giving every child an opportunity to participate in the divine life in Christ through various platforms.
- Teaching the word of God through which every child can become an agent of change and influence society positively.
The School offers comprehensive and qualitative education based on the English National curriculum with a blend of the Nigeria curriculum and education system. The subjects taught include: –
- Communications and Language Arts English Language, Literature in English, French, Mandarin, German, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa
- Mathematics and Science Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Combine Science, Agricultural Science, ICT, Electronics.
- Social Studies, Commercials and Humanities History, Geography, Government, Christian Religious Knowledge, Commerce, Accounting, Economics, Business Studies.
- Creative and performing Arts Creative and Commercial Arts, Fine Art, Drama, Music, Basic Technology, Physical Education, Technical Drawing, Home Economics.
The Love World School curriculum offers a wide range of sport, intellectual and cultural activities, complimenting student’s academic prospects. These activities are aimed at broadening outlook, deepening social relationships, providing practical experiences in various fields and offering opportunities for students to pursue more intensively areas of particular interest and talents. The curriculum offers special opportunities for exceptional students (G&T – Gifted and Talented). Similarly, learners with special educational needs join in the activities of the school together with the learners who do not have special educational needs, so far as it is reasonably practical and compatible for all learners. The curriculum is aimed at:
- Developing the subject knowledge, skills and understanding needed to become aware of the world around.
- Developing an international mindset alongside awareness of own nationality.
- Developing the ability to think and behave independently and interdependently. It does this by providing opportunities for students to work in differently sized groups, to develop their own understandings and to reflect on them in the context of the understandings of others.
- Emphasising learning and ensuring each student’s brains can work most effectively.
- Developing the habits of an energetic, wholesome and productive life.
- Developing the mastery of the skills of communication and learning.
- Developing interests, skills and attitudes which contributes to the worthy use of leisure time.
- Developing leadership qualities and skills.
- Developing deep knowledge and understanding of God’s word and becoming truly godly children.